At the time, Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn said, "The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James' Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio's values and we have severed our business relationship with him".
Gunn had already written a script for the third "Guardians", though production on the film will likely have to wait until "Suicide Squad" is completed.
But much of the "Guardians" cast signed an open letter a year ago seeking Gunn's rehiring; Dave Bautista, who plays Drax, was especially vocal in his support of Gunn, as a #WeAreGroot campaign gained traction.More news: Saudi says UN-led Khashoggi inquiry is 'foreign interference'
More news: Evacuation plans for certain areas in Moz due to Cyclone Idai
More news: Lori Loughlin 'Full House' Actress Expected to Surrender Wednesday
James Gunn is back on Guardians of the Galaxy 3.
In his first tweet since he was sacked in July 2018, Gunn shared a message on the heels of his being hired once again by Marvel Studios.
Although Gunn apologized and issued a statement saying, "I understand and accept the business decisions taken", there was nearly immediately a backlash on the director's behalf, with supporters claiming that the studio had overreacted and moved too precipitously to sever ties. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Gunn also apologized, saying he was a different person when he wrote the tweets in question. "Love to you all". But I suspect James Gunn wrapping up the trilogy he started the way he wanted will be worth the wait. Now he will finish that pic before turning to Guardians 3.
In this latest episode, we talk about the new Shazam! early reactions and we are breaking down the epic Avengers: Endgame trailer!
Just as quickly, a host of celebrities lined up behind Gunn, the Guardians cast signed an open letter protesting Disney's decision, Dave Bautista (Drax) threatened to quit the franchise, and fans circulated a petition urging Disney to rehire the director.