In total, police reported 20 suspects to the PPS - 18 of them former soldiers, one of whom died a year ago.
But family members said they were deeply disappointed that more paratroopers will not be charged over the incident.
"Their victory is our victory", he said.
Mr Herron said the decisions to prosecute announced on Thursday "relate only to allegations of criminal conduct on Bloody Sunday itself".
"A keen amateur photographer, he had set out to film the Bloody Sunday march on a camera he had received as a Christmas present..."
Nearly half a century since unarmed civilians were gunned down in Northern Ireland by British soldiers, one veteran will now be charged with murder.
The prosecution service said there was insufficient evidence to charge other soldiers.
"In these circumstances the evidential test for prosecution is not met". Relatives were visibly upset following the announcement of the decision.
Victims' families and other voices say they must nonetheless be held to account for their actions.
The former soldier, identified only as "Soldier F", will be charged in the killings of James Wray and William McKinney and with the attempted murder of four others.
"We would like to remind everyone that no prosecution or if it comes to it no conviction does not mean not guilty, it does not mean that no crime was committed, it does not mean that those soldiers acted in a dignified and appropriate way", Mickey McKinney, brother to one of the victims, told a news conference.
The ex-soldier has been hand-delivered a letter informing him of the decision. It happened 47 years ago, a line in the sand needs to be drawn and people need to move on.
Conservative MP and former British Army officer Johnny Mercer tweeted it was "ironic that Dennis is back in court today", adding it was "a genuine disgrace and stain on this Nation that this process continues".
Bloody Sunday British paratrooper charged with two murders over massacre | Daily Star
UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson confirmed the government would support Soldier F and pay his legal costs.
"We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland", he said.
The prosecution of a former paratrooper for murder on Bloody Sunday provoked a storm of protest last night over fears he can not get a fair trial and warnings of further legal actions against veterans. They killed 13 people and wounded 14 others, one of whom died later.
A former British soldier faces murder charges over the killing of two people on Bloody Sunday in Londonderry in 1972.
Prosecutors had been considering evidence in relation to counts of murder, attempted murder and causing grievous injury with intent.
Bloody Sunday helped galvanise support for the Provisional IRA early in the Troubles. The victims were all unarmed Catholics.
The families of the victims have campaigned for decades for the former soldiers to face justice.
Families of the dead sought to right the wrongs of false claims that their loved ones had been armed.
A fresh probe was eventually ordered by then prime minister Tony Blair in 1998.
The charges follow a decade-long investigation that concluded soldiers killed 13 unarmed demonstrators protesting Britain's detention of suspected Irish nationalists.
The charges announced yesterday come more than two years after police referred their findings to prosecutors and nearly nine years after the conclusion of the Bloody Sunday Inquiry, which was tasked with determining what happened, not bringing criminal charges. One has since died.More news: Twitter Roasts Full House’s Aunt Becky For Involvement in College Admissions Scandal
More news: 33% quota in jobs for women if we form govt: Rahul
More news: NASA orbiter spots water 'moving' across the surface of the moon