Chicago prosecutor recuses herself from Jussie Smollett case

Share

However, after almost a month-long investigation, the Chicago Police Department now believes Jussie paid brothers Ola and Abel Osundairo to attack him.

The Osundairos' attorney, Gloria Schmidt, hasn't responded to multiple requests for comment from The Associated Press.

Two brothers who cops suspect were hired by Empire star Jessie Smollett to stage a bogus attack. On Saturday, Guglielmi said information from the men had "shifted" the investigation and that police want to speak to Smollett again.

- Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielimi says the two "persons of interest" are now considered suspects.

He tweeted the news on Wednesday after Smollett's attorneys met with prosecutors and detectives.

TMZ is reporting that Smollet paid the brothers $3,500 (approximately R 49,600).

That being said, since there are doubts that the assault was real and that means getting in trouble with the police and pretty much ruining his whole career, many wonder if Fox is planning to write him off the show in order to distance themselves from the drama. Sources also say the brothers were seen on a ride share video as they were dropped off near the location of the attack.

The new statement comes after reports surfaced Tuesday that Smollet had his role cut back in the episode of the Fox series that is now being filmed.

More news: RCom-Ericsson Case: Supreme Court Finds Anil Ambani Guilty of Contempt
More news: Amazon pulls HQ2 from New York: Here are all the reactions
More news: North Korean envoy en route to Hanoi ahead of summit

"Out of an abundance of caution, the decision to recuse herself was made to address potential questions of impartiality based upon familiarity with potential witnesses in the case", said Foxx spokeswoman Tandra Simonton, who wouldn't specify how Foxx was familiar with anyone in the case.

Earlier in the day, Fox released a statement denying reports that Smollett was being written out of the show. So far, two Nigerian brothers were arrested on February 13 but were released two days later without charges. The two men, aged 25 and 27, were released late Friday, 12 hours after police called them "possible suspects".

The brothers, Ola and Abel Osundairo, have allegedly told investigators that they were recruited by Smollett to help orchestrate the crime.

Jussie and his attorneys anticipate being further updated by the Chicago Police Department on the status of the investigation and will continue to cooperate. Smollett's attorneys will keep an active dialogue going with Chicago police on his behalf.

Smollett gave his first detailed account last week of what he says was a hate crime against him, and the aftermath, in an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America".

On Feb. 12, Chicago police said Smollett turned over some, but not all, of the phone records detectives requested as part of their investigation.

Police questioned two brothers, Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo, on February 15.

Share