Prince Philip 'voluntarily' gives up driving following vehicle crash

Share

Just 48 hours after the crash, Prince Philip was pictured driving without a seatbelt.

The Duke of Edinburgh has voluntarily surrendered his driving licence, Buckingham Palace has announced.

Prince Philip has "voluntarily" surrendered his driving licence, Buckingham Palace has said, weeks after he was involved in a vehicle crash.

Philip was behind the wheel of a Land Rover near the royal family's Sandringham estate in eastern England when he smashed into another auto on January 17.

James Brookes, of the Royal Central news site, said Philip was a "strong-willed" individual who was probably not swayed by the public backlash when deciding to hang up his key.

Fairweather, who broke her wrist, called for the Duke to be prosecuted if found to be at fault.

The prince was unharmed but was reported to have been significantly shaken by the accident, particularly as one of the occupants of the other vehicle - who was not hurt - turned out to be a nine-month-old baby.

More news: 39 dead and dozens sick after drinking illicit, toxic liquor in India
More news: Man charged with shooting bus driver after I-35W crash
More news: Maurizio Sarri explains how Chelsea can beat Manchester City on Sunday

In a letter dated January 21, Philip wished her a "speedy recovery" and said he "failed to see the auto coming", the Sunday Mirror reported.

He blamed the low, bright sun for obscuring his vision, adding he was "very contrite about the consequences".

The crash sparked a debate as to whether Prince Philip should still be driving at his age, with some calling for tougher driving tests before they can get behind the wheel.

The force said a file on the investigation into the crash last month had been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS). According to reports, the Duke of Edinburgh was subsequently offered "suitable words of advice" by a Norfolk police officer.

A Land Rover driven by Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, collided with another auto on a public road near the Queen's Sandringham estate in Norfolk, England, last month.

Debris is seen at the scene where Britain's Prince Philip was involved in a traffic accident, near the Sandringham estate in eastern England, Britain, January 18, 2019.

A police spokesperson said: "We will follow the standard procedure and return the licence to the DVLA".

Share