Oscars 2019 ceremony to go without host after row

Share

Writing on Twitter, The Rock said he wanted to make this year's Oscars broadcast the "most fun and entertaining Oscars ever". "We all tried hard, but couldn't make it work since I'm shooting 'Jumanji'".

"For me, I could look at that one little moment and say, 'I was OK then". It was recently announced that Frances McDormand, Gary Oldman, Allison Janney and Sam Rockwell have all been added to the list of Oscars presenters at this year's ceremony, having all picked up awards last year.

It's official; the Oscars will not have a host this year.

More news: John Cantlie: British IS hostage 'believed to be still alive'
More news: Meghan Markle's friends open up about what she's really like
More news: Auto bomb attack in Somalia's Mogadishu kills at least 11 people

The 2018 show drew a record-low 26.5 million people, a 20 percent drop from the 2017 show and the first time Oscar viewership dipped below 30 million, according to Nielsen records that go back to 1974. ABC President of Entertainment Karey Burke, who took over for Channing Dungey in November, told journalists at the Television Critics Association winter press tour on Tuesday that the drama was initially intimidating but she's now looking forward to an exciting award show. "It's really compelling. People really care".

On December 6, Hart stepped down as host, and while he said he would re-consider hosting, he ultimately revealed on January 8 that he would not host. However, there was controversy around some of his old tweets, and this eventually culminated in Hart stepping down. The main goal, which I was told, was the Academy promised ABC past year after a very lengthy telecast to keep the show to three hours. We're going to see a big turnout for this because these are big, popular movies who are being nominated. "The producers, I think, wisely made a decision to not have the host and just have presenters and let the movies be the stars". "Or we're gonna have to move and find another host.' Talking about the tweets from 2009, 2010", Hart said in an Instagram video.

Share