TSA agent falls to his death at Orlando Airport causing delays, confusion


Transportation Safety Administration (TSA), and Orlando Police Department are reporting the Orlando Airport is experiencing delays after an incident involving a TSA agent. Police said preliminary information suggests the incident was an "apparent suicide".

Hundreds of airport guests evacuated the atrium, the wide-open access area to the airport's four main terminals, when the man, in his 40s, jumped at around 9:30 a.m. near eastern gates 70 through 129, according to witnesses and OPD.

The man taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said.

The sight sent "a wave of screams" through the atrium, Cathy Imburgia, who was in line for TSA PreCheck when the incident happened, said.

The TSA also offered condolences, stating, "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the officer's family, friends and everyone in our TSA family".

The TSA said that several passengers scattered past the security areas without screening.

The fall caused momentary panic in the atrium as well as long delays for some travelers who were trying to fly into and out of the airport.

More news: NFL Honors 2019: Patrick Mahomes wins MVP Award
More news: Nissan cancels plans to make X-Trail SUV in the UK
More news: Virginia governor refuses to resign over racist yearbook photo

"Alright, so we're in the Orlando airport this morning and all I hear is a loud BANG followed by people screaming". Now the airport is shutdown.

Trista Eaden told Spectrum News 13: 'I saw the TSA agents standing up, and all of a sudden they just told us to run, to just go through the screening'.

Meanwhile, all flights to and from gates 70 through 129 were halted and some passengers already on board were asked to deplane.

Police said the incident was isolated and reports "suspicious vehicles" related to this incident were false.

Scores of inbound and outbound flights were either delayed or canceled at the airport as of early Saturday afternoon.

For a few hours, trains from sides 2 and 4 of the airport were stopped and airport spokeswoman Carolyn Fennell told Click Orlando this was out of an "abundance of caution".

"Terrible situation at Orlando airport a little while ago".