Kevin Hart reportedly apologizes for old tweets after Oscars backlash

Share

This after Hart pleaded on social media over the weekend for understanding after his appearance on the Ellen DeGeneres Show on Friday stirred up a second wave of criticism over the idea of his hosting the February 24 Oscar gala.

Interested in Oscars? Add Oscars as an interest to stay up to date on the latest Oscars news, video, and analysis from ABC News.

Earlier today, the star addressed the scandal on his SiriusXM radio show, titled Straight to the Hart.

"Once again, Kevin Hart apologizes for his remarks that hurt members of the LGBTQ community. You've already expressed that it's not being educated on the subject, not realizing how risky those words are, not realizing how many kids are killed for being gay or beaten up every day", said DeGeneres. "I think we love to make big deals out of things that aren't necessarily big deals, because we can". This is wrong now. "Because now we're in a space where I'm around people of the LGBTQ community, and I'm now aware of how these words make them feel, and why they say 'That s-t hurt because of what I've been through'". If the fight from the LGBTQ community is equality, that's the fight. "But I will tell you for me as I relate to him and I can talk about my part, he's not a victim", Lemon said. I want you to be happy, be gay, be happy.' And then I say as a heterosexual male, if I can do something to stop my son... that's where the joke starts!' "I understand you. But in the fight for equality, that means that there has to be an acceptance for change". "Where does the equality part come in?" he said. I've already stated it's wrong.

DeGeneres went on to defend Hart against what The Upside star felt was a malicious social media campaign to derail his career and urged him to rethink his decision on stepping down as Oscars host. He wants us to accept him. I don't have one homophobic bone in my body.

More news: United States airstrike in Yemen kills al-Qaeda operative behind USS Cole bombing
More news: Man charged with murder in Houston girl’s death
More news: Game of Thrones teaser shows Sansa handing over Winterfell to Daenerys Targaryen

The comedian offered a new apology Monday - this time in the third person - for past anti-gay statements, but kept mum on whether or not he will host the 2019 Oscars. "You can't let them destroy you and they can't destroy you because you have too much talent".

There had previously been rumors that the Academy was considering using multiple hosts, with Deadline reporting that this is an option once again, as is using no host at all.

Hart also told DeGeneres that he wants to just apologize and move on from this controversy. "I appreciate the @TheAcademy for the opportunity.now it's time to rise to the occasion". The Academy gave Hart an ultimatum once the tweets from 2010 resurfaced. "Whether I like it or not, whether you like it or not, that is his right".

An insider close to the production said Hart would have to approach them with "willingness to return". "We need to speak up for the young, Black people-especially young Black men, kids-in the LGBT community". "I'm glad he apologized".

Share