How bedlam unfolded on Melbourne's Bourke Street on a Friday afternoon


At least one person was killed and two others wounded in a rush hour stabbing incident in Melbourne's central business district, police said on Friday.

Two police officers arrive nearly instantly to find a blue utility vehicle ablaze, with flames shooting high into the air. The man was shot in the chest by police.

Police are seen in Bourke St. on Friday in Melbourne, Australia. Supt Clayton confirmed that when officers arrived, they were quickly cornered by the armed man as the situation escalated.

The other two are into the hospital including one suffering from a neck injury and is suspected to be in critical condition.

Police shot the man when he approached officers swinging the knife.

- mike yang (@fayfayang) November 9, 2018Different angle of the Bourke St attacker being shot by police.

"Three victims have been located, two appear to have been stabbed to the upper body, the third has died at the scene", Victoria Police said in a statement.

"Three people have been stabbed".

Three people were reportedly been taken to hospital after the incident on Bourke St.

More news: Ex-Dadaab refugee breaks record in Congress elections
More news: Sheriff: 13 Dead in Southern California Shooting
More news: Tesla says Robyn Denholm of Telstra to be new board chair

"He was fighting against the police, police tried to subdue him".

Later in the evening, witnesses were being taken to Melbourne West police station in police vans, some looking quite shaken.

Victoria Police Commissioner Graham Ashton said the suspect, originally from Somalia, was known to police and the incident is being treated as terrorism.

Superintendent Clayton told reporters on the scene "there's no known link to terrorism at this stage". The man, who was shot in the chest by police has died in hospital, police have said.

Chilling footage uploaded to social media shows a man attacking police with a knife moments after the vehicle exploded.

The police cordoned off the area and warned people from coming near the area.

Police later said the auto from which the slain suspect, a Somali national, had emerged, contained gas cylinders and was on fire when they arrived. But after reaching the spot they witnessed that several people were stabbed and critically injured.

The street where the auto caught fire is the same one when in January 2017 a fatal but not terror-related incident when a man plowed his vehicle in to pedestrians at a high speed, killing six people and woulding about 30.