Man dies from bacterial infection after eating raw oysters

Share

The report said the Sarasota man died from a gastro-intestinal illness.

The department recommends avoiding raw shellfish and staying out of warm seawater if you have an open wound.

A 71-year-old Florida man has died from bacteria that he got from eating raw oysters, state authorities have said.

A 71-year-old man died of infection of the vibrio vulnificus bacteria after eating oysters at a restaurant in Florida.

Vibrio vulnificus is sometimes referred to as a "flesh-eating bacteria" but health officials say that label is misleading because it can not attack healthy skin.

There are approximately a dozen different types of Vibrio bacteria that can trigger various forms of a gastrointestinal illness known as vibriosis.

More news: Prime Day: Amazon website suffers outages on its biggest annual sale
More news: Toby Alderweireld unsure of Spurs stay after 'unjustified' omission
More news: Woods feared British Open visits were a thing of the past

The elderly and those with underlying health conditions are particularly vulnerable to these infections. About 80 percent of infections occur during these months. Estimates suggest 52,000 of those cases are likely the result of eating contaminated food, especially raw seafood.

"Often with flesh-eating bacteria infected from may to October when the water is warmer".

The illness is rare but can cause vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, according to the agency.

This is the first confirmed case of a Vibrio vulnificus infection in Sarasota in 2018, according to a Florida Department of Health statistic. What are the symptoms of this bacterial infection and how is it treated?

The news comes from the Florida Department of Health, which revealed that the raw oysters were tainted with a bacterium called Vibrio vulnificus, commonly mislabeled as the "flesh-eating bacterium".

According to the CDC, there's no way to know if an oyster carries bacteria like Vibrio. Sarasota had no cases in 2017, and had three confirmed cases of the bacteria and a single death from infection in 2016.

Share