The U.S. -led coalition headquarters in Kabul has confirmed that a U.S. service member has been killed in an apparent insider attack in southern Afghanistan.
The attack took place in southern Afghanistan on Saturday, a statement from the Nato-led Resolute Support mission said. But it gave no further details, saying the name of the service member killed would be withheld until next of kin were notified.
The incident happened at an Afghan army base in Uruzgan Province in southern Afghanistan, according to a U.S. official. There were no insider attacks on US service members during the same period, according to a Department of Defense (DoD) report released last month. The statement said that the attacker killed four people and injured several others.
There were 47 "green-on-green" attacks, when Afghan security forces are attacked from within their own forces, from December 1, 2017 through May 31.More news: Social media reacts to England's win over Sweden
More news: LeBron James looking to change style of play with Lakers?
More news: Croatia defeats Russian Federation on penalties to advance to semis
The incident comes just over a year after three USA soldiers were killed and one other was injured when an Afghan National Army soldier fired on a unit in Nangarhar Province.
The last insider attack that resulted in a US casualty occurred in June 2017, according to NATO Resolute Support officials.
The Nato combat mission in Afghanistan officially ended in 2014, however, a number of countries, including the United States, still have troops on the ground, helping support the Afghan military.