Afghanistan peace marchers reach Kabul, 'tired of war'

Share

At least 18 people were killed in a suicide attack in the city of Jalalabad, outside the office of the governor of Nangarhar province while officials were meeting Taliban insurgents. He said there had been an "exchange of views" between the government and the Taliban over the past week, without elaborating.

Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi strongly condemned Saturday's suicide attack claimed by the Daesh (ISIS or ISIL) terrorist group that killed and injured dozens of people in Eastern Afghanistan, IRNA reported.

After the bombing the Taliban ordered fighters to stay at their posts or in areas under its control.

Resolute Support said it was hopeful that the Taliban stick to their ceasefire "and we hope that pause leads to dialogue and progress on reconciliation".

The members of the convoy have spent three days of Eid while marching towards Kabul and call on Taliban militants to join peace as they emphasize that enough blood have been shed during the past several years.

The Taliban spokesman made no allusion to Ghani's invitation, which was noneless well received by both North Atlantic Treaty Organisation mission in Afghanistan and EU.

Millions of Afghans celebrated the cease-fire and Eid over the weekend as Taliban militants and government officials displayed surreal expressions of brotherhood.

"To avoid harm to civilians, which God forbid we may cause (by our presence), all commanders should stop mujahedeen from attending such gatherings", Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said on Twitter.

More news: BJP pulls out of an alliance with PDP in Jammu and Kashmir
More news: Trump blasts Germany while making case for US….
More news: Sessions on Border Controversy: 'We're Doing the Right Thing' - Leah Barkoukis

Ghani's extension of the government's eight-day ceasefire, which had been due to expire Tuesday night, drew immediate worldwide support and calls for the Taliban to follow suit.

"We hope that the extension of the ceasefire will be announced by the leadership of the Taliban", he told a press conference in Kabul.

The Afghan Taliban called last week for its fighters to observe a three-day truce to coincide with a 10-day ceasefire declared by the Afghan government for Eid al-Fitr, the holiday marking the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

"Now we will have sit-ins in tents and continue walking to other provinces to get more support".

But when the Taliban and security forces failed to heed their demands to stop fighting, some protesters made a decision to take their message directly to the country's top leaders.

Taliban fighters, security forces and civilians were also targeted during cease-fire celebrations Saturday in Nangarhar's Rodat district.

"If they extend the cease-fire they will be compelled to talk, which I think the Taliban isn't interested in".

Share