Three dead in south of Saudi Arabia from missile attack: state media

Share

A Saudi-led coalition has been at war with Yemen's Shiite Houthi rebels since March 2015.

In the past week, the Houthis have fired four ballistic missiles heading toward Saudi Arabia, with one falling inside the Yemeni territories.

Al-Malki accused Yemen's Shia rebels of firing a projectile that was "launched deliberately to target civilians".

Last week the International Committee of the Red Cross said it was temporarily pulling 71 staff from Yemen "due to a series of incidents and threats".

The war has killed more than 10,000 people, displaced three million and unleashed the world's most urgent humanitarian crisis in the impoverished Arab state which is struggling with a starvation and cholera epidemic, according to the United Nations.

Meanwhile, the U.S. was following developments in Yemen very closely, said Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

"I have spoken with Emirati leaders and made clear our desire to address their security concerns while preserving the free flow of humanitarian aid and life-saving commercial imports", he said.

And while the United Nations continues its diplomatic efforts, they also appear to be preparing to fail, saying they believe an attack by UAE forces on Hodeidah is imminent.

3 Reported Killed in Missile Attack in Saudi Arabia
Houthis fire two ballistic missiles towards Saudi Arabia

The rebels control much of northern Yemen, including the capital, Sanaa.

A USA -backed, Saudi-led military coalition is fighting against the Houthis on behalf of the government of President Abd Rabu Mansour Hadi, who lives in exile in Riyadh.

Urban battles, however, will jeopardise civilian lives and risk bogging down assault forces.

Official spokesman of the Coalition Forces in Support of the Legitimacy in Yemen Colonel Turki Al Malki cast light on the comprehensive humanitarian operations in Yemen, at the weekly press conference of the Joint Forces Command of the Coalition.

Yemen's minister of human rights Mohamad Askar summed up the dilemma.

The Yemeni Ministry of Defense said on Monday, June 11 that the army attacked Houthi sites in Durahmi and Quba, located 5 miles (8 km) from the airport.

The UN Security Council met behind closed doors on Monday at the request of the United Kingdom to be briefed on the situation after heavy clashes were reported in Yemen's third largest city on Friday and Saturday.

More news: Spain Sack Coach Lopetegui Days To World Cup
More news: Coalition battles Houthis to liberate Hodeida
More news: White House aide apologises over 'special place in hell' comment

Share