Rescuers seeking 1 man missing in Maryland flooding


"He was reported missing to police at 12:30 a.m. on Monday", Howard County Police Department posted on Facebook.

It's been a long night for residents, business owners and first responders in Ellicott City as they assess the damage and begin cleaning up following a catastrophic storm Sunday. Ellicott City, which is known for its flood-prone location, witnessed flooded streets and toppled buildings.

According to officials, no one has been reported missing in Baltimore County and no serious injuries have been reported. Cars, trash cans and all kinds of debris were seen getting swept away.

The river rose 17.8 feet in two hours Sunday afternoon to 24.13 feet, setting a new record from the previous high of 23.6 feet. Photos and videos taken by eyewitnesses show floodwaters several feet deep surging down Main Street in the city's historic district.

The National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning around noon for Howard County.

An SOS flag hangs from a building during the flooding on Main Street of Ellicott City Maryland
An SOS flag hangs from a building during the flooding on Main Street of Ellicott City Maryland

Over Maryland, a weak weather system crossing this band of moisture, intensified dramatically and a line of thunderstorms formed, crossing directly over Ellicott City.

Local officials say the damage might be even worst this time around.

Rescue workers were out in force across the little town, 13 miles west of Baltimore along the Patapsco River. He said some of the areas repaired after the 2016 devastation withstood Sunday's flood waters.

Governor Larry Hogan declared a State of Emergency in response to the severe flooding in Ellicott City, and areas across the state. After all the hard work rebuilding from a destructive July 2016 flood, Sowers says he's feeling overwhelmed at the prospect of tackling yet another revival.

Catonsville saw more than 10 inches of rain - more than Ellicott City. Two years ago, the city was hit by 17cm in three hours. "We will be there for them as we were in 2016". Money from a Federal Emergency Management Agency grant had just arrived and was slated for repairs and construction, Kittleman said.

More news: Service dog gives birth to 7 puppies in Tampa International Airport
More news: Kilauea volcano lava covers potentially explosive well in Hawaii
More news: Israel, Iran in 'Indirect Negotiations' Over Syria Fighting