Florida man dies after e-cigarette explodes

Share

Firefighters discovered him in an upstairs bedroom at the St. Petersburg home after responding to a fire alarm.

For example, in 2015, an e-cigarette exploded in a man's face in Naples, Florida, burning his face, chest, hands and lungs.

According to the report, the pen he used was a "mod" type, or a modified e-cigarette created to be customizable.

Weeks said that a lot of people are switching from smoking to vaping, because vaping does less harm to the body.

There have been several reports of vape-pens exploding in the past, but this is believed to be the first death caused by one in the US.

The argument over whether or not electronic cigarettes are unsafe just took a weird turn.

The incident occurred around 9 a.m. on Saturday, May 5.

More news: Look! Amazon Go Stores Set To Open In Chicago & San Francisco
More news: CMS teachers prepare for rally in Raleigh
More news: Enhanced SpaceX Falcon9 Rocket Launches Thursday; Designed Multiple Flights

In its official report on Electronic Cigarette Fires and Explosions, FEMA said "the shape and construction of electronic cigarettes can make them [more likely than other products with lithium-ion batteries] to behave like "flaming rockets" when a battery fails". Cheap, generic lithium-ion batteries can be found everywhere from local vape shops to Amazon, and assuming that there's any kind of quality control in their manufacturing is a fool's errand.

A spokesperson for Smok-E Mountain told ABC affiliate WFTS that the problem had to do with the atomizer (the top piece you put in your mouth) or the battery. No concrete information has been released yet on the actual cause of the device's explosion.

The Smok-E Mountain Mech Works vaping device, which is made in The Philippines, is an unregulated mechanical e-cigarette.

E-cigarettes operate by heating a liquid that contains a mix of nicotine, flavorings, and other chemicals.

However, until their safety is guaranteed, smokers reaching for e-cigarettes may want to follow the guidelines set by government bodies.

The FDA also recommends replacing batteries if they get damaged or wet.

According to FEMA, this is the first e-cigarette death in the US.

Share